Whole Roast Chicken & Mashed [3 RECIPES]
It’s a PERFECT and totally gluten-free “paleo” feast. Or, it’s 100% whole foods taken from their raw state!
First, the chicken.
- 1 Whole Bird – Free Range and Organic, of course!
- Grass-fed butter
- Fresh Thyme – 6 sprigs (You can definitely sub oregano – which I’ve done too!)
- Garlic. I use 6+ Cloves 😉 (I’m Italian, whaddya expect?)
- 1 Whole Lemon, halved
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Wash the chicken and remove innards
- Pat dry and then stuff the inside with thyme, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper
- Brush light coating of GF butter on outside of chicken, then salt and pepper.
- Be sure to tie together legs with baker’s twine. I ran out, so I got creative and made a twist tie out of aluminium foil 😉
- Bake for 1-1.5 hours. Our went for 1h15m and it was perfect. You should see clear juices run when you make a cut between the leg and thigh.
- If you set on a cooling rack before serving, the inside will stay warm for at least 30 minutes while you set the table! The skin will be crispy and delicious.
Now for the VEGGIES! My favorite part of almost any meal.
Traditionally, you can cut carrots, fennel, and onion and roast them with the chicken. This is the most delicious way to cook vegetables in this meal because they cook in the chicken juices.
Before you place them in the bottom of your roasting pan, coat them with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and add a few sprigs of thyme to the bottom of the pan.
Today I did it differently.
I chose to cook my chicken and then make al dente vegetables after my chicken finished.
Here’s the recipe for the delicious vegetables above:
Stephanie’s Exotic Roasted Veggies
- 3 Carrots
- 6-10 Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Belgium Endives
- Assorted Mushrooms, 1/2 Cup
- 2 Jalepenos
- Garlic – as many cloves as you want!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Place vegetables in roasting pan
- Use mister to mist olive oil onto vegetables
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until desired texture.
I like more ‘al dente’ vegetables, so I don’t generally like to cook them with the chicken juices, even though it’s delicious.
Mmm… There’s nothing like garlicky, buttery potatoes that stick to your chicken, and your ribs.
But if you’re trying to avoid starches from white potatoes and focus on a more weight loss friendly version, try this:
Weight Loss Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”
- 1 Head Cauliflower, chopped into approximately 8 large pieces
- Garlic – as many cloves as you want! (I use about 4)
- A pinch of Fresh Nutmeg (or allspice, I’ve used when I don’t have nutmeg!)
- 1-2 Tbsp Grass-Fed Butter
- 6 sprigs fresh chive
- Boil water
- Add cauliflower, salt, and garlic to water
- Boil until tender (approximately 15 minutes) but not squishy
- Allow to strain in colander
- Mash with potato masher OR blend in blender. If you like ‘chunky’ mashed ‘potatoes’, then go with the masher. If you want them creamy, go with the blender.
- I’ve made these at times when I’ve run OUT of garlic at my house. It was truly devastating. But I found some delicious garlic hummus in my fridge and used it as a substitute. WOW. That worked out well.
- I like to stir in my butter but also leave a little on the top with the chives – it looks so appetizing to see that nice little clump of butter and chive in the middle of the bowl 😉
Dinner was delicious. It went over ridiculously well with the hubby. It’s certainly protein-packed, 100% non-processed foods.
Oh, yeah. And after dinner we washed our meal down with DELICIOUS SlimTea!
Here’s the ‘pairing’ we used:
Refreshing Summer SlimTea (Iced)
- Boil 2 Cups Water
- Steep 2 Bags SlimTea with 6 Cucumber Slices
- Allow to cool in fridge for 30 minutes
- When ready to drink, serve over ice
Since we’re on the subject of the world’s most POWERFUL 100% Natural Tea for weight loss, one of my employees texted me THIS while I ate dinner:
Haha – yes Valerie – that will make a great testimonial!
I’ll get a picture of “Jessie’s Dad” for all of you soon.
To read other amazing SlimTea testimonials, check this page out HERE.
I take a lot of vitamins, but there’s NOTHING like SlimTea.
It’s EGCG levels are high enough to rival the best ‘weight loss drugs’ with the added benefit of being full of antioxidants that help fight disease.
But it’s not a drug – it’s 100% Natural Slimming Tea, just as it’s been prescribed in China by the medicine men for hundreds of years!