World’s Best Creamy Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
You know by now that I love to create delicious, savory, creamy foods that are dairy-free.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not vegan.
But I do try to limit my dairy consumption due to inflammatory effects of dairy… and the fact that I’m slightly allergic to dairy to boot!
This recipe uses cashews to add protein, healthy fats, and a nice, creamy flavor to the soup.
I always use my homemade chicken stock which also makes the soup richer and creamier than the store-bought kind!
Creamy Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Butternut Squash – large size
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 6 Cups Stock
- 1 Tbsp Curry
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 1 White or Yellow Onion
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut butternut squash in half and put oil, salt, and pepper on each side facing up. (Make sure you remove seeds and set them aside to roast with olive oil and salt later 😉
- Roast Butternut squash until tender (easy to separate from skin)
- Cut acorn squash in half and roast the same as the squash. You can stick them in the oven at the same time depending on the oven- but the acorn squash will cook more quickly so be sure to monitor it.
- Sauté Garlic in Coconut oil until slightly browned.
- Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Now add curry and chili powder and cashews, sautéing for three minutes.
- Add your chicken or vegetable stock. I make a stock with a whole chicken and SlimTea – so it’s extra powerful for fatburning!
- Add cubed butternut and acorn squash.
- Cook until squash is tender enough to blend.
- I use an immersion blender to purée my soup.
- Now I’ll add a few red hot chili peppers (yum!) and salt and pepper. You may add salt, pepper, or something spicy to your soup and let it simmer for 30 minutes after blending to get the full flavor of the soup.
- Serves approximately 8-10 bowls, and in my house it’s always gone too quickly!