7 Ways To Detox With Beets… [Plus Recipe!]
We LOVE Beets
But believe it or not, there was a time when we weren’t such big fans.
After all, they’re the second highest form of sugar you can find outside of pure sugar!
However they’re really full of amazing benefits, so we eat them, but not for every meal!
Here are 7 Ways Beets can rock your world…
1. Detox Your Liver…
Beets are incredibly strong detoxifiers of your liver.
In fact, if you eat a lot at once, your liver will release a large amount of toxins into your bloodstream! Yikes!
You can get dizzy, or even nauseous when this happens.
So if you’re brand new to beets, don’t start with 3 cups of raw beet juice, start slowly.
2. Beets Fight Cancer…
Beets aren’t just a great liver detoxifier, but they also purify your blood.
In fact, they are linked to prevention of various forms of cancer.
Tastes delicious AND fights cancer? Bring it on!
3. Beets Are Nutritious…
Beets are loaded with potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron, Vitamins A, B, & C, beta carotene, beta-cyanine, folic acid and MORE. Whew!
They’re especially beneficial to pregnant women because of the vitamin B and iron content.
4. Beets Make You Happy…
Betaine, a substance used in treatment for depression, is found in beets.
What more, beets also have trytophan, which can be calming in the same way chocolate relaxes people.
Beets can even help lower your blood pressure!
5. Beets Make You Happier…
Yes, that kind of happy. Beets were used by the ancient Romans as an aphrodisiac.
Today, science promotes this theory. This may be because beets contain a high amount of boron, which is directly related to production of human sex hormones.
6. Beets Reveal Stomach Acidity…
If you eat a lot of beets and your urine turns, well, pink – you have low stomach acid.
If you have clear urine after you eat beets, you have high stomach acid – which isn’t good!
Try this stomach acid ‘test’, and if you pee clear – you had best start getting some green juice in your diet, pronto!
7. Beets Provide High Energy…
Beets may be high in sugar, but they’re relatively low in calories.
The sugar is released into your system more gradually than, say, a chocolate bar.
Beets are incredibly nutritious, delicious, and give you lasting, gradual energy when eaten.
Amazing Beetroot Hummus Recipe
Serving Size: Makes 2 cups.
- 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets), scrubbed clean, cooked, peeled, and cubed
- 2 Tbsp tahini sesame seed paste
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest from approx. 2 lemons)
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- To cook the beets, cut off any tops, scrub the roots clean, put them in a covered dish with about 1/4-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until easily penetrated with a knife or fork.
- Alternatively, cover with water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 1/2 hour. Peel once they have cooled.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired. Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
- Enjoy with sliced vegetables or on a gluten-free crostini with goat cheese and shaved mint.
Want another way to enjoy CRAZY nutrients, REVVED UP Metabolism, and AMAZING detoxification?
Read about how you can add this nutritious powerhouse to any diet or weight loss plan today: